About a friend


Growing up, I never really hang out in a big group of friends. When I was in junior high school I felt like there was not one person who I stuck with from the start until the end of high school. I remembered spending lunch time by myself in the student organisation room, playing the keyboard in there, which at the time I didn't really mind as I felt comfortable in my own space (but now that I think about it I was such saddo for doing that). There were friends I hung out with, but I just never felt close enough with them, which I guess made me have lunch by myself for some of the days.

Then I had to move 7291 miles away, which meant a completely new circle of friends. It was not easy at first, adapting to a completely new environment at the age that I was at was difficult, but in this new high school I never had lunch by myself (which was sort of a good indicator). Some unpleasant things happened, but a friend stuck by my side through the whole high school. Lucky me another one comes along, and I am grateful for these two friends as going through that awful high school would have been very difficult without them, they made it more bearable (OK maybe I am exaggerating a bit but the point is I didn't enjoy my second high school that much).

Came A-level, things were getting better. New building (still the same school as high school though), decent people attending the A-level (aka no excessive immaturity, to put it in nicer terms). My two friends were still in the same school so everything was fine. There may have been a drama or two, but we were still growing up (cue the Sound of Music song, "you are sixteen going on seventeen..."), so drama was unavoidable. But overall I enjoyed A-level much more than high school, and again my two friends played a big part of it. If I were to write about these friends, that would be another few blog posts, so for now let's just say they were the friends I never thought I would meet and have, and again I am forever grateful for them.

But then of course we all had to go to university. Changing routine was not easy, despite the excitement of discovering new things, during the first few weeks of university I missed my routine and my two friends, it was weird not seeing them everyday and do the things we do everyday (for example, buying donuts from Sainsbury's). But then of course like the way it goes, I met new friends, and what I love about university is that everyone is at the same stage, talking to new people is not unusual, people are generally nice and friendly. I found again a few friends who I am completely comfortable with, who I text every time there is 'breaking news' or something funny from the internet, who I go weekly shopping with, who I go to when I need opinions. In a way, it is a shame that university is only 3/4 years as I wish to spend more time with the friends that I've met, because I know that when university is finished we will have to go our separate ways. Of course we will still keep in contact and meet each other every now and again (I sure hope so anyway), just like I do with my friends from high school.

My mum said before, that it is difficult to have the same friends forever, you will eventually lose contact and so on. I know that in every stage in life I will always find new friends, but they are all dear to me and of course I care about them so I would make the effort to keep in contact with them. I know that one day we would be separated by oceans (dramatic much) but hey that's what aeroplanes are for. They say good friends are hard to find, this is definitely my case, but I've found them and I don't want to lose them.

I hope they feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.