When at Uni


For these past couple of days, I have been trying to put together a photo album. I looked through my collection of photos from primary school until recent times. It was quite enjoyable to see how little or how much people have changed throughout the years through pictures. I don't think I look much different though after all these years, maybe because in most of the pictures I was wearing a headscarf and people's look tend to change by their hairstyle.

Most of the pictures I have were taken during university time of course (I'm guessing because back then selfie wasn't popular). These pictures are evidences of the things I've done during University, and as I looked through them I felt happy that I've done those things, I don't regret a single thing and I wish I would have done more. If you are starting university you are probably sick of hearing people telling you to get involved in societies, activities, etc. But these people couldn't be more right, your time in university is short so you better use your time wisely. 

People say your time during university is the best time of your life, they might just be right. For me personally it is the best time of my life so far, but then again I don't know what's coming in the next chapter of life. When I started university, I knew I wanted to get involved. But the amount of societies and activities was quite overwhelming, there were so many. I wish I would have got involved more in first year, I was thinking that it was only first year, I have only just started so I'd wait until second year. I didn't realize how short university life is. So in second year I joined the badminton society and PPI UK (Indonesian Student Association in the UK). The reason I joined PPI UK was because I quite like organizing events and I missed hanging out with Indonesians (not sure if this sounds strange or not). I learned so much from PPI UK, I had tonnes of fun even though at times it could get very busy and stressful.

Now in third year, I started volunteering at Oxfam and I joined the UoS samba band. Volunteering at Oxfam is so chilled, I quite enjoy my shifts. When there isn't any customers I can chat with the fellow volunteers, they are so easy to get along with. We even have tea and biscuits sometimes. I also learn many things about the retail industry (I was always one who thought people are nice and have the best intention, but no, there are a lot of bad people out there). And with the samba band, I joined because I have been watching my friend perform samba for the past two years and I've always enjoyed their performance, so I thought why not join in.

I've not got long to go until uni is finished, and I know time will go so fast. I hope to learn much more in the time that I have left. There is technically only 7 months of uni in an academic year, as the other 5 months is a combination of Christmas, Easter, and summer holiday. University life is the time when you have to push yourself, get out of your comfort zone. There are so much new experiences to be had, so many new people to meet, so many new opportunities to grab. Get up, put a smile on and get involved. You won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.